So after some research and discussion with Dr. Tim McNellis from the Department of Plant Pathology at Penn State, we are beginning to wonder about some growth formulas that could somewhat accurately represent mold development. According to
this page about postharvest disease in apples and pears, blue mold and gray mold seems to grow in a radial pattern with numerous points of origin, much like the pattern that some bacterial cultures take. Soft rot also seems to grow in a rough circular shape that originates from the stem. In tomatoes, however, things are slightly different, with the mold growing in a less circular pattern and preferring corners and contact spots with other fruit (would make sense). Certain tomato rots also may make circles, but have multiple points of origin.

Blue mold growing on an apple.

Soft rot on an apple, originating at the stem.

A blue mold/soft rot combo special on a pear.

Rhizopus rot (fluffy white goodness) on a green tomato.
RESOURCES
Guide to Identifying and Controlling Postharvest Tomato Disease in FloridaPostharvest Disease of Apples and PearsTomato Disorder: Post-Harvest Fruit DiseasesP.S. Is it normal that I am now craving an apple?
2 comments:
Sam, I definitely won't be eating ANY of these fruits for the next three months, haha.
I have stop reading these with my normal 10pm cookie snack. I never seem to learn...
First. Great idea. I fully endorse this.
I propose the following approach still.
Simple noise function.
maybe a simple reaction-diffusion
then more complex formula
the goal again would be to move closer and closer to reality, showing improvement every step of the way
Do you guys know dr McNellis or just found his site? I am fine with finding an expert to getting the right forumulas...
Post a Comment